The Q&A Archives: Planting Tips

Question: I recently moved to Northern North Dakota.I have no clue on what to plant or when to plant it as far as flowers go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: You're in USDA gardening zone 3 with average winter low temperatures of -40F to -30F degrees and spring arriving somewhere between April 15 and June 15, and summer lasting until about mid-August. This gives you a rather short growing season, so choose hardy perennials or quick growing annuals for your garden beds. Suitable perennials include Campanula, Echinops (Globe Thistle), Filipendula (Meadowsweet), Helenium (Yellow Star), Linaria (Baby snapdragon), and Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia). Annual choices include Pyrethrum (Painted Daisy), Cardiospermum (Balloon Vine), Sparaxis (Harlequin Flower), Veronica, Verbena, and Ionopsidium (Violet cress). You'll glean lots of other ideas from local gardeners (look to see what's growing in other people's yards), and by visiting local Farmer's Markets, parks and public gardens.