The Q&A Archives: Care of Euryops pectinatus

Question: I bought a plant at a nearby nursery called a golden shrub daisy (euryops pectinatus). I loved it. I put it in a container and it bloomed profusely on my deck all summer. However, I didn't know what to do with it in the winter so it died. I have since bought two new plants for this summer. Is there any way I can keep this over the winter? How should I care for this? Nobody around here really seems to know much about this plant--is it relatively new? Thanks for any help you can give me on the care and any information about the plant itself.

Euryops pectinatus is native to South Africa and is a popular perennial in warm winter gardening regions. It's a shrubby plant that endures drought and wind, but is damaged by frost. Euryops grows best in full sun, in average but well-draining soil. Unless you can protect the plant from frost, it won't survive. If you have a greenhouse, you can keep it going through the winter months. It doesn't adapt well to growing indoors as a houseplant, so you might want to treat your plant as an annual rather than a perennial, and plan to replace it each spring.