The Q&A Archives: What to do with pampas grass after frost damage

Question: I want to grow my own leeks but I cannot find either the seeds or plants here in the Houston area. Can you help me out with a source(s) and hints on successful growing in the Gulf coast area? Linda Laugen The Woodlands, TX

Answer: You can grow leeks in Houston, but you may be a bit late in starting. Leeks take a long time to mature from seed (140 days) and like to grow in cool conditions. Unfortunately, Houston isn't exactly cool in summer, so by the time you seeded and transplanted into the garden, it may be May and too hot for your leeks. Next year start earlier growing leeks from seed started in December indoors, buy transplants now or try growing leeks in fall to overwinter and harvest in early spring. The following company offers a good variety of leek seeds, Johnny's Selected Seeds Foss Hill Rd. Albion, ME 04910 207-437-4395 For plants that you might still be able to get in the ground now for a spring harvest, try, Piedmont Plant Farms P.O. Box 424 Albany, GA 31702 912-883-7029