The Q&A Archives: carpet vinca not vinca vine

Question: When I lived in S.C. I used to purchase flats of vinca and the tag name was "carpet vinca". The only difference from this plant and the common vinca I see was that it was lower growing and better suited for a border planting. Whenever I ask for it at the nursery's they always think I'm referring to vinca vine but it was nothing like that at all. Do you know what plant I'm referring to, and where I can find the plants or seeds?

Answer: Vinca minor and Vinca major are both evergreen, vining groundcovers. They're also called Periwinkle. What you're describing sounds more like Vinca rosea (Catharanthus roseus), or Madagascar Periwinkle. The 'Carpet' series has glossy leaves and phloxlike flowers and a compact habit, growing only 4"-8" tall. You can find seeds through Cyberseeds, PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.