The Q&A Archives: Hardy Peach Trees

Question: I am located in Southern Colorado at an elevation of 7500 feet located in zone 4. I would like to know of any hardy peach trees that would tolerate this climate.

Answer: There are some peaches described as cold-hardy--'Reliance' is supposed to be hardy to minus 30F. This is really pushing it, though--generally peaches aren't considered hardy in areas colder than zone 5, and even there they are susceptible to damage from late winter frosts. With your extreme conditions, you're lucky to be in a city with a Cooperative Extension office. They should be able to tell you if there are any varieties that do well. Contact Colorado State University Cooperative Extension, 401 Sante Fe, Alamosa, 81101, 719-589-2271. Good luck!