The Q&A Archives: Dark spots on avocado leaves

Question: I just started growing an avocado tree from the pit as an indoor plant. Recently, I noticed dark tan spots on the lower leaves. The spots appear darker near the veins. I immediately trimmed the damaged leaves but it appears that the spots are now starting to spread to the upper leaves. What can I do to save my avacado? H.Nye Flushing, NY

Answer: The dark spots on your avocado leaves may be environmental stress and not a disease. Be sure there are no cold drafts around the plant, it's well watered and the pot is big enough for hte leaves. Also, starting in March, feed the tree with a mild liquid fertilizer. Check the leaves for any signs of insects suc has spide mites or mealybugs and spray insecticidal soap on the leaves if you see them. These trees are tough, so if it makes it through the spring, set it outside to enjoy the summer sun.