The Q&A Archives: Wando Pea

Question: I am participating in a science fair this winter and one of my experements is to grow your Pea Wanda under different wavelenghts of light. I am in great need of knowing the scientific name of the pea wanda. Also there is also a fungus growing (Although I hadn't planned on growing any!) and I would please like your advice on any way of killing this fungus without killing the plants. Michael Hill Mason, OH

Answer: Wando pea is Pisum sativum 'Wando' botanically. The fungus growing around your seedlings is probably damping off disease. You'll need to let the soil dry out a bit and let more air circulate around the plants(maybe even put up a small fan) to avoid this rot disease from taking over. If some peas are already effected, I'd throw them out. Start over with fresh soil and don't over water the soil.