The Q&A Archives: Watering Frequency for Roses

Question: How often should I water my roses in the desert southwest with summertime temperatures of 90-100 degrees?

Answer: Roses need consistent soil moisture to do their best. Soil moisture should be maintained at least 2-3 feet deep.
Check the moisture level by poking a long, thin probe into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil and stop where the soil is dry. During the summer, you may need to water every day, or every other day, but monitor the soil moisture. Too much water isn't good, either!

Always water slowly and deeply to leach the salts in our desert soils past the rose's root system. Salts that build up can "burn" plant roots.

To help retain soil moisture, put a 3-4 inch layer of mulch around the base of your roses now. Keep it a couple of inches away from the stem area to help prevent soil- and water-borne diseases. Good luck with your roses through the summer heat!