The Q&A Archives: Planning a vegetable garden

Question: What is a good layout for a vegetable garden which would include tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, bush beans, pole beans, melon, carrots,cucumbers, okra.the size is about 15'x 30'. Anthony Ioppolo Greenwell Springs, LA

Answer: The general rule of thumb is tall crops go in the back (north), while short crops go in the front (south) of your garden. This may no plant shades another. I place rows of pole beanes, tomatoes, and okra in the back. The next row would be peppers, eggplant and bush squash. On the edges of the beds I'd plant meons and cucumber and let them vine outside the garden, thus saving space. In front I'd plant carrots and bush beans. They should all fit. Just follow the spacing recommendations on the packages and you'll end up having more food than you can eat!!!