The Q&A Archives: Stripey Tomatoes

Question: I recently purchased Stripey Tomatoes. I have never seen this variety before. Can you tell me anything about them? How will they grow? What will their fruit be like? Do they require any special care? They look really neat and I thought I would try to grow them this year.

Answer: Stripey Tomatoes could be any of the following, depending upon where you purchased your plants. I'm sure one of these descriptions will fit your tomato to a "T":

'Marvel Striped'is an indeterminate variety that will grow and produce fruit all season long. It's been grown in Oaxaca, Mexico, at least since the mid-1800's. The large, heart-shaped fruits are yellow streaked with bright orange. The skin is thin, the fruit is juicy with a sweet flavor.

'Green Zebra' was developed in the mid 80's by heirloom tomato breeder, Tom Wagner of Tater Mater Seeds. Uniform fruits, small (2 inch)and flavorful. It's an indeterminate plant.

'Tigrella' is an indeterminate plant with small red fruit; the flesh has clear yellow and orange stripes. The fruit are sweet and fruity tasting.

'Mr. Stripey' is a large, ridge-shouldered red fruit with yellow with pinkish-red stripes. They're mild, low acid and have few seeds. It's a determinate plant, producing fruit in 80 days.

These tomatoes require no special care; provide a sunny spot, water regularly, and mulch with compost to suppress weeds and provide nutrients to the plants.
Hope this helps you discover the true identity of your tomato!