The Q&A Archives: USDA Zone Map and Chiltepin Seeds Wanted

Question: Where can I get a USDA zone map?

Where can I get seeds for chiltepins?

Answer: The following web site asks for your zip code and then provides the USDA zone you live in:

Sunset's Western Garden Book also includes extensive zone maps at the beginning of the book. Note that they use a different system than the USDA, but it allows for more variation in the West's climate. Their plant listings follow their zone numbers.

Chiltepin seeds can be ordered from Native Seeds/SEARCH in Tucson, which supplies native and heirloom seeds for the desert. Their web site is:

You might also call some of the local specialty nurseries such as Bakers Nursery or Berridge's Nursery. Look under Nurseries in the Yellow Pages. They often carry a wide selection of seeds. Good luck with your chiltepin seeds! The plants take alot of abuse and keep on growing!