The Q&A Archives: Dry Leaves on New Roses

Question: I planted bareroot roses that already had some growth starting. I have dryed, crumbly leaves in the place of the new growth that existed before planting. Could frost have killed the new growth? I scraped the bark of the roses and it is green . Should I remove the damaged growth or just let it fall off naturally? Will these roses survive?

Answer: Rose foliage is generally very tolerant of spring cold spells, but newly planted bare root roses are somewhat more delicate. It is possible that frost nipped the foliage, it is also possible that it sunburned and dried out as a result. Another possibility is that the plant itself was allowed to dry out. Be sure to water faithfully so that the plants don't dehydrate while the roots are still forming. If the foliage is truly brown and dry, remove it gently being careful not to damage any buds. New leaves should replace them soon.