The Q&A Archives: Clematis

Question: I live in San Diego and would like to plant a Clematis vine so it will grow on my patio. What kind would survive our warm weather and how should I plant it. What size should I start with? I tried Ernest Markham and it died promply.

Answer: Clematis just won't grow well in your warm-winter gardening region. Why not consider growing one of the several climbers that will thrive in your area? Your choices include Yellow Trumpet Vine (anemopaegma chamberlaynii), Bougainvillea, Bleeding Heart Glorybower (Clerodendrum thomsoniae), Mandevilla 'Alice du Pont', Evergreen Wisteria (Millettia reticulata), or Cape Plumbago (Plumbago auriculata). Each of these vines is evergreen and they each provide spectacular flowers during the growing season.