The Q&A Archives: Asparagus Not Sprouting

Question: About 3 weeks ago I planted asparagus roots I purchased from Bupee's seed catalogue. I know we have had a very cool spring, but I have not seen any growth yet. I followed the directions for planting that I recieved. How long shoud I wait until I see any results? Should I dig up the roots and try replanting or what?

Answer: Newly planted asparagus can be very late to emerge depending on weather, planting depth and soil conditions. If you are too curious to simply wait patiently, you could gently dig down to a sample crown and see if there is any activity, but it does take a while for the crowns to settle in and begin to grow. Once the spears emerge they do shoot up amazingly quickly. Do make sure that they receive adequate water for at least this first year while they are becoming established since asparagus appreciate a rich and moist yet well drained soil (meaning not soggy).