The Q&A Archives: Butterfly gardens

Question: I am planning to plant a butterfly garden. This will be my first butterfly garden, so I need help getting started. I would like to use plants that are relatively simple to work with. I live in Marietta, OH, and I am going to plant it in a space thatis 21'10 x 9'6 . The area gets full sun during the summer from at least 11:00 am through sunset. There is a mature azalea bush at each end. I would like to know a good variety of plants/flowers to bloom from spring into fall. I plan to plant with the taller flowers growing in the center. Caroline Butler Marietta, OH

Answer: There are a number of plants butterflies love. You can start with the Butterfly weed (Asclepias) and the Butterfly bush (Buddelia). For perennial flowers try growing daisy, mint, phlox and cornflowers. Perennials will bloom only once during the growing season, while annuals will bloom all season long. Annuals to try are tithonia, salvia, cosmos, alyssum and fennel. There are many books on butterfly gardens with designs that are probably available at your local library.