The Q&A Archives: Oak Ivy

Question: I have what the florist had labled as an Oak Ivy. I cannnot find any reference to such a plant and do not know how to care for it. We currently have it on the front porch (East) side of the house in full shade. Do you have any information on such a plant?

Answer: It's difficult to say without actually seeing the plant. It could be a true ivy (Hedera) with an oak leaf-shaped leaf, or it could be Grape Ivy (Rhoicissus) which also has an oak leaf shaped leaf. You might try to find a reference with pictures and see if either of the above is your Oak Ivy plant. Either will grow indoors with cool to average household temperatures and bright light, with regular watering when the top of the soil dries out. Both can grow outdoors during the spring and summer months, but the Rhoicissus is tender and should be taken indoors in late summer. Hope this helps you discover the true identity of your plant!