The Q&A Archives: English Cucumber Seeds

Question: Where can I purchase English cucumber seeds and how could I grow them here or in Wisconsin?

Answer: The long, bitter-free, burpless-type cucumbers are available from several sources and marketed under many names from Armenian to Asian to English. Culture for these cucumbers is the same as for any cucumber; full sun, and sandy loam or clay loam soil amended with compost. Plant the seeds 1" deep in prepared soil spacing 1'-2' apart. Provide support to keep the fruits from getting dirty. Expect to harvest 12"-18" long cucumbers in about 65 days. You can purchase seeds from any of the following sources: Seeds of Change, PO Box 15700, Santa Fe, NM 87506-5700, Territorial Seed, PO Box 157, Cottage Grove, OR 97424-0061, or Johnny's Selected Seeds, 1 Foss Hill Rd., Albion, Maine 04910-9731.