The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer Pellets

Question: I have a soil fungus that is in my flower/vegetable beds. It is in the shape of small BBs that are a tan color. Is there something that I can put into the soil to eliminate this?

Answer: Are you sure this is a fungus? It sounds to me like it may be leftover fertilizer pellets. Many greenhouses and nurseries use a pelleted, slow-release fertilizer in their potting mixes that fits your description exactly! (Other people have wondered what these pellets were.) If you've used nursery-grown plants I'd bet that's what they are. Just leave them in place to do their thing--they'll break down slowly and release fertilizer.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."