The Q&A Archives: Saint Joseph

Question: I am trying to find an outside flowering plant that my Mother used to have in our yard. She referred to it as a St. Joseph plant. It had dark green leaves and white "trumpet" like flowers on the stems of the plant. It also would have small pickery "balls" that held seeds that were attached to the stems. It was a very leafy plant or maybe I should say bushy plant but it also had plenty of flowers that would at first be "closed" and then open. It continuously produced flowers throughout the summer. And grew about 2'high. I remember her telling me it needed to grow in a contained area because it would spread otherwise. Please help out with this one. No one I ask seem to have any idea of what I am talking about.

Thank you,

Nancy Scott

Answer: Sounds like Sacred datura (Datura innoxia), based upon the flower shape and color, the prickly seedpods, and the invasive habit. Try looking the plant up in a reference with color pictures to see if Datura is the plant you're seeking.