The Q&A Archives: Jasmine not flowering

Question: I have a 2 1/2 to 3 year old Winter-blooming Jasmine that is supposed to flower around Valentine's Day, but has never produced any flowers. It sits in my southwest facing kitchen window, gets plenty of moisture and regular feedings. The leaves are growing very well, but alas! no flowers. Am I doing something wrong? If so, what? Val Orcutt Chester, MA

Answer: Winter Jasmine need to be cut back anually in summer to encourage the next year's flowering shoots. It should also be kept evenly moist, extremes of dryness or over watering could cause the leaves and /or buds to drop. Also, it need a cool period in fall (40F) in a brightly lit room for 10-12 weeks to form flower buds. Hopefully you have such as location to keep it going in the fall and early winter. A partly heated greenhouse would be best.