The Q&A Archives: Can Zucchini be Pruned Back?

Question: My wife started a small garden in our backyard and it is going good. She had never planted zucchini before and found out that it was taking over most of our small garden with its tall wide leaves.

My question is will it hurt the plant if we cut back the leaves? Next season we are just going to plant them in thier own little section, but we still have these ones to deal with.

Answer: Healthy zucchini plants are just plain big. Unfortunately,
they do not lend themselves to pruning. If you have more than one plant, you might want to pull out one or two others. Many gardeners find themselves swamped with zucchini in next to no time, so you might also want to consider picking the fruit while it is still small and tender.
One or two plants should provide plenty of squash. Another possibility is to put in a very sturdy trellis and train the vine upward to save space this year. Your idea for next year is a good one!