The Q&A Archives: Trees for the North Face

Question: I live in southern new Hampshire and would like to put a tree about the size of a Japanese Maple in the front yard of my house. It faces north and is on the top of a hill, so we a lot of wind and cold. It sees about 3 hours of morning sun and that's it. Any suggestions for trees that would look nice and be hearty enough for this kind of exposure?

Answer: A couple of options are witch hazel (there are many named varieties) and the hollies, 'Blue Prince' and 'Blue Princess' (Ilex x meserveae). Ferns also sound like they would thrive in this situation, but they wouldn't make an impact in the winter landscape. During the first and second winters your shrubs are in their new home, water them well in the fall, take extra care to protect them from the harsh winter winds, so they have the best opportunity to survive the winter in thrive in the spring. Enjoy!