The Q&A Archives: Early blight

Question: For two years I have had great looking tomatos until the vines start bering fruit, what happens is the leaves at the buttom of the plant turn brown. The tomatoes seam to be ok but I think I could have a much better crop. A friend of mine said its a fungess in the ground. Do you know how I can test for the fungess or get rid of it. The garden is only 30 by 8, so not alot of area to work with. Charles Frantz Liverpool, NY

Answer: It sounds like you have a classic case of early blight, a soil-borne fungus. The best cure is to mulch the planting with hay or straw to prevent the water from splashing disease spors on the leaves. Also rotate your planting not growing your tomatoes plants in the same location for three years. One other solution you could use would be to grow your plants in large containers such as 5 gallon buckets, adding new soil every year. You are encouraging the fungus by using the same soil year after year.