The Q&A Archives: Baby's Tears

Question: I have a large brick planter in which I grow primrose and primula as well as a leather fern. Baby's tears is beginning to grow into this planter. Should I remove the baby's tears? Will it choke out the flowers or be harmful in any way? It looks very nice as a ground cover but I do not want to lose my flowering plants.

Answer: Baby's Tears (Soleirolia) is a low-growing plant with tiny round leaves that creeps along, making an attractive carpet of green. It can become invasive, but is so shallow-rooted that it shouldn't harm larger plants. If you like the appearance of Baby's Tears in your planter, allow it to grow. If it becomes a pest, pull out the above-ground parts in the autumn. Any remaining roots or stems will sprout new foliage the following spring.