The Q&A Archives: Blooming Perennial for a Shady Nook

Question: My house faces towards the north. My husband has built a planter at the front of the house that fits into something like a nook. The only sun that the plant gets is in the early morning. I would really like to have some flowering plants there that would be very easy to take care of and would survive the winters here. I have three Azalea bushes that do very well, but I don't want to put in any more. I was thinking about maybe Hibiscus. I would like your suggestions. The planter is about 8' x 18".

Answer: Here are some suggestions: for shrubs, try Mountain Laurel, Japanese skimmia, spirea (all spring bloomers) and sweet pepper bush (summer bloomer). Perennial flowers: bleeding heart (spring bloomer), astilbe, hosta, japanese iris (summer). To fill during spring and summer, try these annuals: pansies, tuberous and wax begonias, impatiens, coleus. Enjoy!