The Q&A Archives: soil for Brugmansia

Question: In some of the previous questions regarding the care of Brugmansias, you mention that they prefer "rich" soil - could you explain this? What type of soil are you referring to?
I have wintered over 5 of the Brugmansias in my basement with grow lights and a little water every so often. Now I have returned them, still in their pots, to the outdoors where they are beginning to sprout new growth. Each is about 4-5 ft. tall at the present time. I would like to continue to enjoy these, so I am concerned as to the type of soil and the fertilizer that I should be giving them for their continued health. Thanks very much for your help.

Answer: If your Brugmansia plants have been in the same pot over the winter, I would transplant them now using a mixture of one part commercial potting soil, one part perlite, and one part screened compost, leaf mold, or well-soaked peat moss. These plants need frequent fertilizing, so you could use a liquid fertilizer once a week. Fish emulsion and seaweed extract provide a variety of nutrients, and they won't cause a build-up of salts in the soil.

By the way, you can quite freely prune your Brugmansias if they get leggy and they will enthusiastically grow new foliage.