The Q&A Archives: Growing marigolds

Question: I'm a sopomore at Lutheran High School South and our Biology class has just started the Botany unit. For a projest my class will be trying to go the biggest and best Marigold. We are using your Extra dwarf double french, lemon drop, Marigolds. We have have 3 months to complete this project and I was hoping that you could give me some tips and pointers on how to get my Marigold's growth process to be enhanced. Andrea Grosse St. Louis, MO

Answer: Assuming all your classmates are growing the same variety of marigold, here's how to make yours the biggest and have the most flowers. 1) Keep it well watered it's entire life (but don't keep the soil soggy-that will hurt the plant) 2)Fertilize weekly with a dilute solution of a liquid fertilizer such as Miracle Grow 3)Keep the plants close to the lights (few inches), and keep the lights on 14 hours a day. 4) Sing and talk to them-- they like that!!!