The Q&A Archives: NPK of Steer Manure

Question: I am curious about the fertilizing properties of composted steer/cow manure. It was recently suggested to me that 'manure added almost nothing to the soil'. The excellent composted organic material in manure alone disqualifies this comment. But, I would love to know what kind of NPK contribution it makes to my lawn and garden.

Answer: The end result of steer manure really depends upon what the animal has been fed, but general percentages are 0.7 Nitrogen, 0.3 Phosphorus, and 0.4 Potassium. While these numbers aren't overly impressive, steer manure does add organic matter to the soil, and the NPK elements are in a form readily available to plant roots. I'd still give three cheers to using aged manure in the garden!