The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes and Cucumbers for Containers

Question: I would like to plant some tomatoes and cucumbers on my deck this year. I would like to use the plants for fruit as well as for decoration. I am looking for bush or dwarf plant varities, something I would not have to stake. Please give me several suggestions. Thank you.

Answer: Consider mixing the color and size of the tomatoes to create an attractive focal point: Burpee's offers:
Bush Big Boy: same red and flavorful fruits as Big Boy, but the bush is half the size
Tumbler: red cherry tomato that produces in just 49 days. Bred for containers.
Yellow Pear: One of my favorites. Never seems to stop producing. Sized like cherry tomatoes, but pear shaped. Plants can sprawl, but I just keep mounding vines on top of each other for protection from the sun. Great snacking fruit!

For container size cucumbers, try Bush Champion or Salad Bush Hybrid. Bush size cukes take about one-third of the space of regular cucumbers. Good luck!