The Q&A Archives: Brown Tips on Bald Cypress

Question: I have a newly planted five gallon size bald cypress. I have noticied that some of the tips of the branches are turning brown. They were not this way to begin with. Should I be concerned? Could it be from too much water or poor drainage?

Answer: Browning leaf tips are a sign that something is interfering with the roots of the plant, and it may be related to drainage. Although bald cypress thrive moist soil, and have little tolerance for dry soil, the roots do require some air in the soil in order to function, so they should be planted next to, rather than right in, a very wet spot. Transplanting can be traumatic for plants, too, since roots can be exposed to drying air or damaged during transplant. Usually potted trees adjust better than balled and burlaped or bareroot trees. It may help to foliar feed the tree some seaweed/kelp fertilizer. Mix as directed for foliar feeding, and mist the leaves. This can strengthen it and help it through tough times. Best of luck!