The Q&A Archives: Insects Feeding On Angel Trumpets

Question: I have 3 different kinds of "angel trumpets", purple/white blooms, white & salmon blooms. The white and salmon plants have some kind of worm/insect that eat the leaves. I haven't been able to catch the little critters. I would assume they come out at night. Could you tell me what I am probably dealing with and what to use to combat them.

Answer: Many insects are nocturnal feeders, so you seldom see them feeding during the day. Do some Sherlock Holmes investigative work. Go out at night with a flashlight and inspect the plants, making sure to turn over some leaves.

The remedy will vary depending on what you find. B.t. is an effective control for caterpillars and is sold in many garden centers under a variety of brand names. Pyrethrin/rotenone sprays are effective against beetles, caterpillars and several other pests. While organic, they are more toxic than B.t. Grasshoppers are generally too migratory to effectively control with sprays. Slugs and snails can be kept at bay by a number of means should they turn out to be the culprit. Also, if it is a slug or snail, you should see their dried slimy trails on the stems and foliage.

Thanks for visiting us. Please drop in again soon!