The Q&A Archives: Blueberries and alkaline soil

Question: I have been trying to grow blueberries in Logan, Utah and I have noticed a condition that my gardening books do not have an answer for. The plants start to yellow and turn brown at the tips and eventulally die. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to help them survive? Tracy Neuhold Logan, UT

Answer: Your problem growing blueberries in Utah is probably that Utah has alkaline soil, while blueberries love acidic soil. You'll have to dramatically alter the pH of your soil to grow blueberries. I'd suggest trying to grow them in 1/2 whiskey barrels. That way you can alter the pH by adding sulfur to the soil and not have to deal with all the soil in your planting area. Also, contact your local County Extension Office (801-468-3183) for information on varieties and special planting instructions.