The Q&A Archives: Fuchsia Care

Question: I purchased 3 fuchsia plants and they are beautiful. Are they greenhouse plants or outside plants? When I got home I went online to learn more about them, but what I'm reading is they are houseplants. Can they survive in our climate outside? If it is cool should I take them in at night?

Answer: Fuchsia's are tender plants that should be kept indoors when the weather is cool, but grow wonderfully well outdoors during late spring and summer. Protect your plants from cold weather by keeping them in a bright area indoors. As the nights get warm (minimum 55F degrees), put your plants out in a partially shady spot and give them lots of water. If you pinch the stems back the plants will become bushy and develop lots of new flowering stems. As the petals fall from the flowers, pinch them off to encourage additional blooms. When the weather begins to cool in the autumn, stop watering, cut the stems back even with the rims of the pots and store the plants in a cool, airy location such as a basement or garage. In the spring, when new buds swell on the remaining stems, begin watering again and take the plants into a bright room. When outdoor temperatures warm up in the spring, take the plants outside again.