The Q&A Archives: Morning glory vine care

Question: I've discovered some pleasant little morning glory vines growing in what is basically a patch of dirt next to our garage. Usually this space is populated by rambunctious weeds. I was so happy to find the 3 or 4 violet-colored flowers, and decided that I wanted to train them to climb up a sort of wall of twine. Their tendrils had already been wrapped around various weeds, sticks, and poles so I carefully uncoiled the tendrils and loosely rewrapped the plants somewhat messily around the twine. I'd like to know if the plants are now going to latch on to the twine, then climb up, or have I damaged them by overstretching the tendrils? Should I water often? I doubt the soil is very nutrient-rich. Also, do these roots go deep? What can I do to make the plants have more flowers? Bryan Matsumoto Temple City, CA

Answer: Your morninglory vines will naturally wind their way around the twine. Keep them well weatered, fertilize only lightly with a low nitrogen fertilizer such as 5-10-10. Too much nitrogen will yield lots of vines and few flowers. Make sure they get at least 6 hours of sun a day and they should flower fine.