The Q&A Archives: Rosa Rugosa Care

Question: I purchased 10 Hedge Rosa Rugosa from Burpee and, even though they looked dead when they arrived, they are now growing famously. Do they need to be fertilized and, if yes, when? Also, do they get any diseases or pests and how would I care for them if they do?

Answer: Rosa rugosa is a very vigorous plant, growing 3'-8' tall with prickly stems and glossy green leaves with a crinkly appearance. The flowers, 3"-4" across, are wonderfully fragrant. All rugosas are extremely tough and hardy, and are remarkably free of disease and insect problems, with the possible exception of aphids. If they find your plants, hose them off with a strong stream of water. Your plants do not require regular feeding, but you can supply an 8-8-8 formulation of fertilizer to the root area each spring for enhanced growth.