The Q&A Archives: Zebra Grass

Question: Last spring I planted some Zebra grass in my garden. It grew very nicely and had the yellow stripes on the leaves. Earlier this spring I cut it back to a couple of inches above the ground. The problem is that it's about two feet tall now and it's green with no stripes!! Will the stripes appear later in the year? What should I do to it to get the stripes?

Answer: Miscanthus, or Zebra Grass grows best in full sun to part shade, in moist, well-draining soil. Some are drought tolerant but all thrive when given regular water. If you're giving your plant the cultural requirements it needs, it's likely the foliage will look more as expected a little later in the season. Other than annual removal of the old, dead foliage, Miscanthus needs no special care.