The Q&A Archives: Watering New Tomato Plants

Question: I recently planted my tomatoes. Should I continue to water them every day for a while or perhaps just every few days? I mulched them w/salt marsh hay, will this help?

Answer: Tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. (One example of a problem they might develop is blossom end rot, which appears as a dark, rotten-looking bruise on the fruit. Blossom end rot is basically an imbalance of calcium in the soil, often aggravated by varied watering schedules.)

How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of 12-18 inches. Poke a long, sharp metal rod, screwdriver, etc. into the soil to determine depth. The probe will move easily through moist soil; stop at dry. Mulching is an excellent way to help retain soil moisture--good job!