The Q&A Archives: Bird Friendly Hawthorn

Question: I just recently purchased a "Crimson Cloud" hawthorn tree. It looks like a weeping cherry tree. It has pretty red/pinkish flower clusters. I was trying to find out if I have the right hawthorn that the birds like. I also don't know to much about the tree itself. Any information about this tree would be appreciated.

Answer: In my experience, all forms of hawthorn are favored by birds. Their dense spiky branches are excellent nesting spots especially for cardinals, buntings, wood thrushes, and hummingbirds and then birds enjoy the fruit in the fall, too. "Crimson Cloud" is a form of English Hawthorne (Crataegus laevigata, native to Europe) and is a small tree known for its versatility and ability to thrive under varied conditions. On mature trees the blooms are lovely and so are the glossy red fruits!