The Q&A Archives: Jade Plant Cuttings

Question: I used your Q & A to start cuttings from an old jade plant that I think is failing.
The Q&A said to pot the cuttings in moist perlite. Should I water them?
How/ when will I know if they are ready to pot in soil?
It has been 2 weeks and I have not added additional water and they seem to be fine.

Answer: As you have noticed, jade plants are not as apt to dry out as some types of cuttings. You can in fact root new plants by simply placing a leaf on the soil surface and watering occasionally: in time roots will form, reach down into the soil and a new plant will grow. Cuttings, however, provide a nicer plant more quickly. In perlite or sand, you might simply use your finger to see if the mix has dried out. If so, water lightly often enough to maintain a barely damp root run to encourage rooting without causing the cuttings to rot. Once you see some active rooting (or the cuttings resist a gentle tug and seem anchored) you can transplant them into a somewhat sandy or well drained potting mix. Once transplanted, be sure not to overwater them at first. Good luck with your cuttings!