The Q&A Archives: Wilting French Lavender

Question: I recently purchased a french lavender (lavandula dentata) out of the grocery store. I have it in a bright location inside and wanted it to be a small houseplant. I have watered it thoroughly and that is about it. I think I may have overwatered. Simply overnight it is browning and wilting. Is there any saving this plant or have I learned my lesson? I watered with rain water. It is in standard potting soil in a pot that drains.

Lavender is native to the Mediterranean and as such it prefers full sun and extremely well-draining soil.  When I say "full sun" I mean 8-10 hours of direct sun daily.  (I live in the desert, and lavender thrives outdoors here.)  It may not be getting enough light indoors.  It also hates wet feet, so if you're using standard potting soil and think you may have overwatered, it's roots may be too wet.  You could try it in a sunnier location and let the soil dry out between waterings. Fertilizer is seldom needed. If this plant doesn't make it, try again.  (You might want to get some potting soil for cactus, which will be extremely well draining, and mix it half and half with a standard potting soil.)  Lavender is fabulous once you get its preferences down!