The Q&A Archives: Dividing Iris

Question: I divided my iris beds April 20. They did not bloom very well this spring. I have now read where this should be done in the fall. I have replanted the larger rhizomes. Should I let the others dry and plant in the fall or replant the remainder of them now?

Answer: I think there's confusion on this topic because the different types of irises can have different "best" times to divide. I assume you are talking about bearded iris -- these can be moved any time during the growing season as long as you don't mind risking the blooms. Traditionally, these iris are moved about a month after they bloom but early spring is an okay time to move them, as is summer or even early fall. I'd go ahead and plant them now.