The Q&A Archives: Differences in Onion Set Varieties

Question: From what I have gathered, there is no difference between onion sets. The same sets are used for green, spanish, and winter planting. Am I right? If not, what is the difference and what cultivars are used for what type?

Answer: Usually the sets are used for all these different purposes because they're easy to work with and readily available, although the variety may not be the best for all these uses. Many more varieties are available in seed form, but they take so long to grow that most gardeners just keep it simple and plant sets. There are no truly sweet onions available in set form, though researchers are working to develop them, but you can order plants of these sweet varieties. Some varieties of storage onions available in set form are 'White Ebenezer', and 'Yellow Globe Danvers' and 'Stuttgarter'. Shallots are also grown from sets; varieties include 'Dutch Yellow,' 'Brittany Red' and 'Asian Purple.' For scallions, purchase sets of Red Weathersfiled', 'Yellow Rock' and 'White Ebenezer' (a double-duty variety). Hope this helps!