The Q&A Archives: Something Is Eating My Pepper Plants

Question: Something appears to be eating the leaves of my pepper plants. I can't locate the insect to identify it. I have not had this problem in the past and I'd like to know which type of spray you would recommend. I have many tomato plants near by and they are not affected.

Answer: Several critters can munch on pepper leaves, including flea beetles, grasshoppers, slugs, cutworms, loopers, katydids, hornworms, and more. Since many of these nasties require different control techniques or products, it's best to actually identify the culprit first. You may want to visit the harmed plants at night with a flashlight to catch what may be a night visitor. Take the burglar to your local nursery for I.D. (unfortunately, we haven't figured out how to get a bug sent over the internet highway).