The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes Not Setting Blossoms

Question: My tomatoes lose their blossoms and produce no fruit. The plants are otherwise healthy. Is there anything I can do?

Answer: Causes of failure to set blooms include: cool nights, hot days and warm nights, excessive nitrogen levels early in the life of the plant, and lack of wind to shake the flowers. Tomatoes pollinate themselves when the flowers are shaken a bit causing pollen to fall from the male flower parts onto the female flower parts.

Consider these possibilities. Temperatures are not in our control but we can cut back on fertilizer until fruit sets and we can shake the bushes each day to assist in pollination.

Finally, there are hormone sprays at your local garden center that are designed to help tomatoes set fruit.

Thanks for the question and good luck with those tomatoes!