The Q&A Archives: Orange Tree Pest

Question: I have two orange trees and something is eating the rind of the oranges and leaving the fruit. What is causing this and what can I do about it?

Answer: About the only pests of oranges are snails and slugs. I expect one or the other is feasting on the orange rinds during the evening hours. Check the trunk and limbs for tell-tale signs of shiny or slimey trails. Try going out after dark with a flashlight and see if you can catch them in the act. If slugs or snails are feasting on your oranges, place a copper barrier around the trunk of the tree to keep them from reaching the fruit. All it takes is a 3"-4" strip of copper, firmly attached, just above the soil level. When slugs or snails try to slide across the copper they quickly retreat!