The Q&A Archives: Jacaranda Pruning

Question: I had a beautiful Jacaranda Tree put in last year. However most of the branches are growing straight up. How can I prune this for better shape. I think it needs to be headed off but most of the foliage is at the top of the branches. How, when and should I do this?

Answer: Jacaranda can grow 20'-40' high and 15'-30' wide. When young it can be trained to grow as a single or multi-trunked tree. Most of the branches will develop when the trunk reaches 6'-10'. You can prune your tree after bloom into the shape and habit you prefer (blossoms can be produced anytime between April and September, so don't prune too soon). If you head it back, you'll be encouraging a shrubby, multistemed habit. If you prune the ends of the branches back, you'll be encouraging a slightly bushier crown. Now's the time to decide how you'd like your tree to look at maturity, and prune accordingly.