The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Pieris Andromeda Compacta

Question: Hi, We planted a Japanese Andromeda Compacta this spring. It has shown no signs of growth, and has a lot of leaves turning yellow and shedding. Can you please tell me what I can do to remedy the problem?

Answer: There are several possible causes for this plant (Pieris japonica) to yellow and drop leaves. Among them are over watering, under watering, planting in a soil that is not acid enough, planting too deeply, and exposure to wind. It might also be an insect or disease problem. These plants require a humusy or organic, moist yet well drained (not soggy) soil and appreciate several inches of mulch to help moderate soil temperature and moisture levels. They also need a moderately acid to acid soil. Your new plant should have shown signs of new growth, so it is possible it has failed to root into the surrounding soil or is suffering some other serious problem. You might wish to contact the nursery where you purchased the plant for advice, particularly if it is under guarantee. Alternatively, you might contact your County Extension(745-3445) for a more specific diagnosis and suggested steps. Good luck with your shrub!