The Q&A Archives: Spacing Star Jasmine

Question: I am planting Bougainvillea and Star Jasmine along a long chain link fence in the hope that they will eventually cover it. What I am unable to find is how far apart do I plant each plant in order to get even coverage in the future.

Answer: Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)can produce twining vines up to 20' per growing season. For fast coverage, space the plants 3'-4' apart. Once established, Star Jasmine is a vigorous grower. If you can wait 4-5 years for coverage of your fence, space the plants 6' apart and pinch the growing tips out to encourage additional vining stems. Bougainvillea is a vigorous plant once established and can grow 25'-50' high with a 25'-35' spread. If you're in a hurry to cover your fence line, space your plants 8'-10' apart. Otherwise, place them 15'-20' feet apart and wait for them to fill in.