The Q&A Archives: white fungus on Snow pea plants

Question: Hi, I am stationed overseas and a novice gardner. I am growing Snow Pea's in containers and they were doing very well! Just recently I noticed a white mildew type fungus on the leaves and the plant seems to be wilting quite badly. Could you tell me what it is and recommend a product either organic or chemical to control it, thanks Pierre

Answer: It is probably powdery mildew fungus. This disease can be a problem on peas and certain other vegetables. One organic option is to spray the plants with a labeled product containing neem oil (not just the ingredient azadirachtin, but the oil of neem). Another option is to use a labeled product containing either potassium bicarbonate or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The following web site contains a great deal of information on the bicarbonate sprays including source of these products: