The Q&A Archives: Adding Soil Over Bulbs

Question: I recently asked a question in reference to me adding three to five inches of topsoil on what I already have. I have tulips, azaleas, anemones and silver mound planted where I want to add the topsoil. I was told to dig up everything and carefully replant it. My question is, do I even dig the tulip bulbs up as well and replant them?

Answer: If the foliage has ripened sufficiently, you could simply dig them and store them for replanting in the fall. Many tulips do not perform all that well after the first year or two anyway, but if they are the more reliably perennial type of tulips such as the smaller Greiggi types, I would be concerned about changing the soil level around them that much. In either case, tulips can be lifted and immediately replanted just like everything else -- water them a day or so before, replant, and water in well. If they have already ripened their foliage and gone dormant and you are willing to take a chance on losing them, go ahead and bury them.